Architects Fees for High Quality, Contemporary Projects
Capital A are one of the few practices who publish a detailed guide to their Architects Fees. We do this because most of our clients have never employed an Architect or commissioned a building before and therefore have no idea what an Architect might charge. Capital A offer an all inclusive service for high quality, contemporary projects with a minimum construction budget of £50k
Capital A divide the design and construction process into six distinct stages, which are explained fully on the Architectural Services page.
Capital A publish a guide to typical House Extension Costs.
We also offer a full range of services for clients who wish to self build their own home.
You are free to employ Capital A for as many stages as you require, from drawing up initial plans, to negotiating with builders on site, your project may not need all of the stages listed here.
At present, VAT does not apply to the fees charged by Capital A.
Architects Fees For House Extensions
Architects Fees For Internal Alterations
Architects Fees For Feasibility Studies
Please note this stage alone is charged by the hour. The fees listed for the Feasibility Study stage above are approximate.
Architects Fees For Construction Contracts
Please note this stage is charged at a fixed fee per week of construction, the longer the building is on site the higher the fee. The fees listed for the Construction Contract stage above are approximate.
Architects Hourly Fees
Capital A can charge an Hourly Rate of £80 for all types of project. This approach suits clients who want to be deeply involved with managing their own project and prefer to use their Architect as and when they require.
Capital A will work in blocks of 10 hours at a time, so that costs don’t spiral and will issue invoices monthly, along with a time-sheet that itemise the costs.
- This fee guide is only accurate when the site is located in Edinburgh, the Lothian’s, Fife or Dundee.
- The fees described here are dependent on using standard construction methods and materials.
- The fees described do not include for any interior design services, these will incur an additional charge if required.
- If a Planning Application is refused permission, any appeal or new application is not included in the fee and will incur an additional charge.
- The Feasibility Stage fees listed here are a rough guide, this stage alone is always charged by the hour. All other stages are fixed price.
- The Pre-Construction Stage fees listed here assume working with one contractor to establish the cost of building work. If a tender to several contractors is required, the Architects fees will increase
- Projects can take several years to complete, therefore the fees will be reviewed annually and will increase in line with the Retail Prices Index until the project is finished.
- All Fixed Price fees are dependant on the project design remaining unchanged from the Feasibility Study and Capital A being given full control of time scales, with the final say on when to lodge all applications and begin construction.
- Planning applications next to agricultural land or land who's ownership is unknown may require an advertisement fee of ￡100 to be paid to the local council.
- New-Build Houses may incur additional fees for the following services; Land Surveys, Ordinance Survey Maps, Utility Searches, Acoustic Tests and Air Tightness Tests. Full details of these will be discussed during the free consultation.
- Please do not request a discount on our fees, as refusal may result in embarrassment.
Book A Free Consultation With An Architect
Our email and phone details are on the Contact Page.